Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Second Time Around

When I boarded the plane for my second trip to Europe from Kansas City, I was just as exhausted as I was the first time but not as nervous. This time, I knew what to expect. Moreover, I would fly directly from Atlanta to Stuttgart, where Running Man (RM) would be waiting for me. The new stamp in my passport would be from Germany.

I can't say I wasn't nervous at all because my relationship with RM was new and deepening. Despite our near-daily conversations on Skype, I missed him more than I thought I would and found myself counting the days until I would see him again. The fact that I was traveling halfway around the world a second time to look for a home was also a bit disconcerting, but I couldn't wait to see more properties. I kept hoping that this time, I would find the place that just felt right.

Our base of operations on this trip would be a two-bedroom apartment instead of a B&B. Since RM and I both love to cook, and since I would be staying there for nearly a month this time, it made sense to rent an apartment. I thought that it was a good idea for me to live more like a resident this time, rather than a tourist. After all, I might be moving to this part of the world, and a dose of reality would be healthy. I would have to shop for groceries, prepare meals, do laundry and, as is typical for the self-employed, devote time every day to do some client work. This wasn't a vacation; this was business.

Someone had told RM about a guy in Lokve, Slovenia, who had an apartment available for short-term lease. It was available and RM negotiated a good rate. He even visited the apartment twice before committing to it, emailing me photos for my approval. The owner had added an upper floor apartment to the home where he lived with his elderly mother. Now, before you start to think that the owner was one of those mama's boys who lives off her for as long as he can, I need to set the record straight. In the States, we tend to look unfavorably upon a 40-something man living with his mother. All sorts of stereotypes come to mind. But in Slovenia, multi-generational living is the norm rather than the exception, and I have come to appreciate the complete and utter practicality of this type of living arrangement.

Our landlord, Edbin, had "retired" from the management of a telecommunications company and opened his own consulting company. He was elected mayor of his village and in that role, focused on increasing tourism in his community. Noting the lack of places where visitors could stay, he decided to get into the rental property business, adding the second-floor apartment and buying other small properties to renovate and lease. He's well educated and well traveled, a great conversationalist and, above all, a really nice person. RM had done well again. Of course, I wasn't really surprised. He is, after all, a professional tour guide.

During the course of my flight over the Atlantic, I enjoyed a few glasses of Delta's mediocre but complimentary wine served in plastic cups. There was an empty middle seat in my row of three so I had the luxury of spreading out a bit, stowing my carry-on bag beneath the seat in front of the unoccupied one so I could stretch my legs. I also put up the armrest and leaned over into the next seat in an effort to get comfortable enough to sleep but failed in the attempt. Once again, I would arrive in Europe sleep-deprived.

As the flight-map monitors showed us nearing our destination, I armed myself with a packaged facial cloth, my Colgate Wisp, eyeliner and mascara and headed to the tiny bathroom which, at this point in our journey, had been extremely well-used by hundreds of strangers. Knowing that I wouldn't have to run through the terminal to catch a connecting flight, I thought I might at least make the attempt to look a little better when I met RM this time. When the pilot announced our descent into Stuttgart, I found myself getting butterflies again.

This was a significantly smaller airport than the one in Rome, so getting my luggage and going through customs was much easier this time. I even took the time to glance at the indicia stamped into my passport before putting it away and heading out the gates. RM was there again, looking incredibly handsome and happy to see me. He hugged me, told me how beautiful I was, and handed me a cup of coffee from some Hardees he'd found. My bottle of water was in his car.

Knowing that I would want to shower and change right away, RM took me to the hotel he'd stayed at the night before. My flight had arrived around 9 a.m., and check-out time was 11, which gave me plenty of time to unpack what I needed, take a long, hot shower and get ready for our drive to Slovenia. 

And just in case you're thinking the romance was already gone from out relationship because RM hadn't greeted me with flowers at the airport, think again. When we entered the room, I saw a beautiful orchid in a pot near the window. I couldn't help but draw a parallel between the plant as opposed to the cut flowers and my attempt to put down roots in this part of the world.

We set off on a lovely day, driving from Germany and through Austria back to Slovenia. I dozed off a couple of times but didn't want to miss the scenery which was incredible, even from the autobahn. I would have to see these countries another time. But I amused myself by pronouncing funny words in German I saw along the way. I found the word for "exit" particularly hilarious and since we were on the autobahn, I saw it a hundred times. Now RM, who speaks German fluently, didn't really "get it" until I explained it to him, but laughed once he understood. The German word is "ausfahrt." I probably wouldn't have laughed so much had I not been so tired.

It was late when we arrived. The apartment was clean and cool and I stood on the balcony that ran across the front of it to look at the stars. RM had thought of everything. There was a chilled bottle of champagne and two glasses he'd bought from his friend, Herbert, in France, and chocolate-covered strawberries that Edbin's girlfriend, Tatijana, had made. Oh, and candlelight, of course. On RM's second visit to see the apartment, before returning to France, he had left the champagne, glasses and candles with Edbin and asked him to put them into the apartment before we arrived weeks later. Tatijana had arranged them beautifully.
 
"Wow," I thought. "A man who not only did this but planned it far ahead of time. Gee. What girl wouldn't love a guy like that?"

I couldn't wait to continue my journey.





No comments:

Post a Comment